February is American Heart Month
Torrance, CA (February 2017) Ever since President Lyndon B. Johnson declared the first American Heart Month in 1964, the month of February has been dedicated to cardiovascular health awareness. Cardiovascular disease is the nation’s No. 1 cause of death for both men and women, killing an estimated 630,000 Americans each year. That is why many senior living communities such as Vista Village incorporate a heart healthy lifestyle into everyday living.
Whether it is through the prepared meals or the organized activities and onsite exercise programs, senior’s living in communities can find it easier to stay healthy because they have help to make it happen.
“Our residents often tell us they are eating healthier food choices because a chef is preparing meals with the right choices and making it taste good. In addition many find they engage in exercise more frequently once they live in a community due to the availability of our activity programs and friends to work out with,” said Heidi Gonzalez for Welbrook South Bay.
Through a heart-healthy lifestyle, seniors can prevent and control many coronary heart disease (CHD) risk factors. Some risk factors can be controlled or at least made better like high blood cholesterol, high blood pressure, and obesity. Only a few risk factors—such as age, gender, and family history—can’t be controlled through healthy choices.
To reduce risk, seniors should try and control each major risk factor:
- Weight: Maintain a healthy weight
- Smoking: Quit or don’t start smoking
- Exercise: Exercise 30 to 60 minutes a day on most days of the week, cardio is best for a healthy heart even a simple walk works
- Diet: Eat a diet that’s low in saturated fat, cholesterol and salt
- Sleep: Get plenty of sleep
- The “Other” Heart: The saying goes that people can die of a broken heart or in other words emotions can indeed affect the heart. Keep it happy with:
- Gratitude. Remind yourself of what you have to be grateful for
- Laugh. Yes just laugh
- Connect. Get out, find a group, take a class, call an old friend – your heart will be lighter.
To learn more about a healthy senior lifestyle contact Welbrook South Bay at 310-997-0838.
About Welbrook South Bay
Welbrook South Bay provides the finest in independent living, assisted living, and memory care options for residents. Located in Torrance, California, the expertly trained staff provides residents with the highest standards of senior care services. It is operated by Integral Senior Living, which manages independent, assisted living and memory care properties. ISL is founded on a care philosophy that fosters dignity and respect for residents and promotes their independence and individuality. For more information call 310-997-0838 or visit www.welbrooksouthbay.com.