For seniors a perfect time to focus on a healthy lifestyle
February is American Heart Month- a time to focus on your health which can start with the heart. While heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women, there is good news: heart disease is largely preventable and controllable. Seniors especially should be encouraged to make those very important heart healthy choices. At Welbrook Senior Living healthy meals and exercise are incorporated into resident’s choices, making a difference in their lives.
In the United States, the most common type of heart disease is coronary artery disease (CAD). One can reduce the risk for CAD through lifestyle changes. From heart healthy meals to making active lifestyle choices, the staff at Welbrook Senior Living would like to share some ideas and tips for a better heart.
- Exercise 30 to 60 minutes a day on most days of the week, cardio is best for a healthy heart a simple walk works
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Quit or don’t start smoking
- Eat a diet that’s low in saturated fat, cholesterol and salt
- The “Other” Heart: The saying goes that you can die of a broken heart or in other words our emotions can indeed affect our heart. Keep it happy with:
- Gratitude. Remind yourself of what you have to be grateful for
- Laugh. Yes just laugh
- Connect. Get out, find a group, take a class, call an old friend – your heart will be lighter.
It’s equally important to be alert to the signs and symptoms of a heart attack, which can include:
- Uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain in the center of your chest;
- Pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw or stomach;
- Shortness of breath with or without chest discomfort;
- Nausea, lightheadedness, or breaking out in a cold sweat; and
- Chest pain or discomfort.
About Welbrook South Bay
Welbrook South Bay provides the finest in assisted living and memory care options for residents. Located in Torrance, California, the expertly trained staff provides residents with the highest standards of senior care services which include daily exercise classes to promote a healthy lifestyle. It is operated by Integral Senior Living, which manages independent, assisted living and memory care properties. ISL is founded on a care philosophy that fosters dignity and respect for residents and promotes their independence and individuality. For more information call 424-488-6340 or visit www.welbrooksouthbay.com.